Pearls of Wisdom 1
As dental professionals we work with the above Cochrane principles:
- Effectiveness: Does the treatment work.
- Efficiency: Which is more relevant to clinical practice, and asks how well we carry out a given procedure.
We know that when patients control their plaque well they can bring, with professional help, their periodontal disease under control.
I believe we should apply the Cochrane principles to patients and their plaque control and ask the following questions:
- Have we observed how patients brush their teeth and corrected any errors?
- Do they have the correct size and shape of toothbrush and is it fit for purpose?
- Which place do patients miss when they brush?
- If we have prescribed interspace brushes are they cleaning interproximally?
- Have they followed our advice when we follow up?
In summary, how can we help our patients be more efficient in their daily plaque control and gain not only dental, but other health benefits in relation to heart disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and possibly Alzheimers.