Diabetes Mellitus & Dentistry
This is a dental public health disaster about to happen.
The bottom line is clear; control the plaque and control periodontal disease and reduce the effects of systemic diseases. Whilst daily plaque control must remain the responsibility of the patient, as dentists our responsibility is to show patients how to control their plaque effectively and to monitor and record progress (or regress) at regular intervals.
In summary we need:
- Doctors and dentists to work together as never before.
- An education campaign to encourage diabetics to attend for dental care.
- Better dental record keeping and sharing this information with patients.
- To develop ways to help patients control their plaque on a daily basis.
- Better information about periodontal disease on the internet.
- Publicity at national and local level.
The preparation of this article has required much research. Key references are shown below: